Is Blue Grain Toxic? Risks For Children, Dogs And Cats

Is Blue Grain Toxic? Risks For Children, Dogs And Cats

Plants need sun, water and fertilizer to reach their full glory. For many people, blue grain is their fertilizer of choice. However, this is produced purely chemically and poses a risk to human and animal health. We tell you what to look for when using the artificial fertilizer and introduce you to natural alternatives.

What is blue fertilizer made of?

Blue grain is a chemical mineral fertilizer composed of nitrogen, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. It promotes plant growth and ensures a bountiful harvest when used regularly. This complete fertilizer is appreciated primarily for its simple handling. First of all, the blue granules must be evenly distributed in the flower bed or garden soil. In combination with water, they dissolve and release their nutrients in an optimally dosed form to the surrounding plants. However, the chemically produced fertilizer does not contain any organic material and thus does not provide food for microorganisms that populate the garden. The microscopic soil inhabitants are, however, a basic prerequisite for the fertility of the soil, as they are responsible for humus formation and also keep the soil structure permanently in balance. For this reason, organic gardeners work their cultivated areas exclusively with organic fertilizers.


Toxic to children and adults

Blue grain can cause severe irritation if it comes into direct contact with the skin or eyes. If it is accidentally swallowed, acute symptoms of poisoning usually occur. The following symptoms have already been observed after ingestion of the chemical fertilizer.

  • Stomach cramps
  • vomiting
  • bloody diarrhea
  • breathing difficulties
  • circulatory problems
  • collapse


In high doses, the artificial fertilizer can even lead to coma. The bright blue color of the fertilizer appeals especially to babies and small children, who touch the colorful beads full of curiosity or put them in their mouths. Therefore, plant fertilizer must always be stored in a safe place and tightly closed.

Danger for dogs, cats and wild animals

Blue corn scattered on open lawns or garden areas is toxic to our pets. Wildlife such as hedgehogs or rabbits are also at risk if they nibble on the blue grains. After eating the artificial fertilizer, many animals show acute stomach and intestinal complaints. The typical symptoms of poisoning range from diarrhea and vomiting to respiratory and circulatory problems. In addition, painful skin irritations or blue discoloration of the oral mucous membranes may occur. Even small amounts of the fertilizer that attach themselves to dog or cat paws and are subsequently licked off trigger life-threatening symptoms of poisoning.

Act quickly and correctly in an emergency

If children have touched the chemical fertilizer without swallowing it, the skin should be rinsed thoroughly with water to prevent irritation. If, on the other hand, it is suspected that children or animals have swallowed the blue artificial fertilizer, appropriate countermeasures must be taken immediately to prevent permanent damage to health. For this reason, a doctor or veterinarian should be consulted immediately. Medically trained personnel will decide on a case-by-case basis which treatment steps must be taken. Under no circumstances should you attempt to induce induced vomiting on your own. Activated charcoal, which is often used in cases of oral poisoning, may also only be administered after consultation with a physician.

Tip: Emergency clinics in hospitals as well as animal rescue staff can be reached by telephone around the clock, even on Sundays and public holidays.

Risk of poisoning


Conclusion: How toxic is blue grain?

Because of the potential risk of poisoning, blue grit should only be used on lawns that are not walked on by children or pets. Babies or small children show a great fascination for the colorful globules and could effortlessly swallow them in an unobserved moment. If small amounts of the fertilizer are ingested, acute stomach and intestinal problems often occur. However, stronger doses can cause life-threatening respiratory and circulatory problems. If you suspect that your child or pet may have ingested a chemical fertilizer, remain calm and seek medical advice immediately. Make a note of important emergency numbers (rescue, veterinarian, poison control center) and place them clearly visible next to the telephone so that you can get professional help quickly in an emergency.

Is Blue Grain Toxic? Risks For Children, Dogs And Cats

In conclusion, blue grain is not automatically toxic if used properly and kept away from children or pets. In family gardens, however, you should still prefer organic natural fertilizers that do not pose a health risk.

Alternatives


Non-toxic alternatives for organically managed gardens.

Did you know that retailers have numerous non-toxic fertilizer substrates available for flower lovers and amateur gardeners? Organic natural fertilizers provide plants with valuable nutrients without endangering the health of humans or animals. Parents as well as pet owners should avoid using blue corn and prefer the following alternatives.

  • Compost
  • Horn shavings
  • Guano
  • Horse manure
  • Nettle fertilizer
  • sugar beet molasses
  • organic liquid fertilizers

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.