Apricot kernel oil is healthy and cares for skin and hair. What ingredients it contains and how exactly it works, you will learn in this article.
Ingredients of apricot kernel oil
Apricot oil has many positive effects not only in the medical field – it is also used in cosmetics. Namely, the oil provides smooth, supple skin and healthy hair. The following components are responsible for this:
- Oleic acid: With a share of over 66 percent, oleic acid is the most important ingredient of apricot kernel oil. The body cannot produce the acid itself. It provides the skin with sufficient moisture and is said to reduce signs of aging, such as wrinkles. It is also said to cause hair to appear more voluminous and fuller.
- Linolenic acid: It is responsible for the numerous positive effects on the skin and accounts for about a quarter of the total oil. Linolenic acid also has a moisturizing effect on the skin and hair. In addition, it is said to promote hair growth and fight acne.
- Palmitic acid: This acid is an elementary component of metabolism – it is present in just under six percent of apricot oil. Palmitic acid can protect the skin from external influences and nourish mature skin.
- Stearic acid: This carbonic and fatty acid is present at a level of 1.6 percent. Stearic acid naturally cleanses the skin and frees it from dirt and sweat. It is said to protect the hair from damage.
- In addition, apricot kernel oil has vitamin E and traces of vitamins A and B. The high iodine value, which is 96 to 109 for apricot kernel oil, indicating the high content of unsaturated fats, also speaks in favor of the natural remedy.
Production of the apricot kernel oil
Unlike many chemical products, apricot kernel oil has no side effects. According to a study by All Organic Treasures, the oil is said to have many positive cosmetic effects, especially due to the moisturizing oleic and linoleic acids. In a natural way, you can do something good for your skin and hair:
- Skin: Apricot kernel oil moisturizes the skin of the face due to the oleic acid it contains. Therefore, you can use the oil especially well against dry and flaky skin. The oil can also remove blackheads.
- Face: Due to the many fat-dissolving substances, the oil is also suitable as a make-up remover.
- Hair: Here, too, the oleic acid has a positive effect on dry hair and hair affected by split ends. In addition, the oil is said to give the hair shine.
- Pigmentation disorders: Age spots occur when your skin is exposed to too much UV light in the long term. With its nourishing effect, the oil can also soften such spots.
- Fungi: Apricot kernel oil fights various skin fungi due to the many acids it contains.
- Contact dermatitis: If allergic inflammation of the skin occurs in connection with other substances, the oil can help in the healing process.
The production of apricot kernel oil is very complex. Here’s how it works:
After the apricots are harvested in July, they are dried. Then the stones are separated out.
The kernels are first checked for their quality. Only if they are flawless, they are used for the further production of the apricot kernel oil.
Cold pressing of the apricot kernels takes place, which produces the oil.
Subsequently, the oil is refined, so that the apricot oil has a correspondingly longer shelf life.