More than 25 different species of grasshoppers live in our Central European regions. Unlike many insects, these animals from the grasshopper family cannot sting. Grasshoppers bite when they think they are in an emergency situation.
To the point
- Grasshoppers belong to the order of grasshoppers
- The best known of the insect species is the common grasshopper (Chorthippus parallelus).
- The animals do not sting, but in dangerous situations the insects of the genus Chorthippus can bite.
- The dangerous looking sting on the hind part has an important function in reproduction and is used for digging holes.
- The insects of the family of field locusts feed mainly vegetarian on various grasses
The genus Grasshoppers
All insects of this grasshopper species have in common that they do not sting humans. In Central Europe, for example, the following variants are common:
- Large humped cricket (Arcyptera fusca)
- Small golden cricket (Euthystira brachyptera)
- Large golden cricket (Chrysochraon dispar)
- Common grasshopper (Chorthippus parallelus)
- Meadow grasshopper (Chorthippus dorsatus)
- Heath grasshopper (Stenobothrus lineatus)
- Marsh grasshopper (Chorthippus montanus)
- Chorthippus parallelus is a short-feathered grasshopper that is one of the most abundant field grasshopper species in Central Europe.
There is a long stinger at the rear end of the grasshopper. The grasshopper species is harmless to humans, as the sting is used exclusively for reproduction.
Note: The sting on the abdomen of the grasshopper has another function. As a so-called laying borer, the grasshopper can drill a hole for the female to lay eggs in the ground.
Stinging with the stinger is not possible. Grasshoppers bite when they feel threatened and are in an emergency situation. The large mouthparts allow for a bite that can be painful to humans.
Humans, insects and co. are not in danger. The genus Grasshoppers feeds mainly on grasses and prefers a vegetarian diet.
Frequently asked questions
Are the insects dangerous for agriculture?
The grasshopper species does not pose a threat to humans. This includes agriculture. Considerable crop losses are a rarity and hardly known in our climes. Farmers use insecticides to combat crop infestations quickly and effectively. Other grasshoppers can cause considerable damage to the agricultural economy.
Are grasshoppers endangered?
Several species of grasshoppers are considered endangered. The warming of the climate is positive for the animals. In the course of global warming, parts of the populations are recovering. The best-known insect of the genus Chorthippus is not considered endangered.
Are there poisonous grasshoppers?
The green locust is not poisonous. The situation is different with other insects of the order. For example, the foam locust is a poisonous representative. Some species of grasshoppers are considered a nuisance, but they are not dangerous.
I have 30 years of experience and i started this website to see if i could try and share my knowledge to help you.
With a degree a Horticulture BSc (Hons)
I have worked as a horticulture specialist lead gardener, garden landscaper, and of course i am a hobby gardener at home in my own garden.
Please if you have any questions leave them on the article and i will get back to you personally.