A flower tower is space-saving, beautiful colorful and smells good. Not only in the garden, but also on the balcony it fits well. In this article you will learn how to create a flower tower in a few simple steps.
You want to beautify your garden with flowers, but you’re tired of normal flower pots? Then a flower tower is just the thing for you: something completely different and a real eye-catcher. There are several ways to create a flower tower. One of them is presented in this article.
What you need for your flower tower
Before you create your flower tower, you should first think about its location. It will look good both in the garden and on the terrace or balcony. However, most plants have certain light requirements and feel more comfortable either in the sun or in the shade. Therefore, you should already have in mind which flowers you want to plant before you think about where to put the flower tower.
For the flower tower you will need:
- Approximately one meter of wire mesh with openings (you can vary the length of the wire mesh depending on how tall you want your flower tower to be).
- garden fleece
- black cable ties
- a large flower pot
- scissors suitable for cutting the fleece and cable ties (if necessary, you can also use a utility knife)
- potting soil
- a garden shovel to fill in the soil
- and last but not least, of course, flower bulbs or seeds.
To create your flower tower
If the idea of a flower tower appeals to you, here’s how to create your own.
- First, form a cylinder from your wire mesh. The diameter should be the same as your flower pot. If you wish, you can wear gardening gloves for this step to avoid hurting yourself on the wire.
- Next, make sure that the ends of the wire mesh overlap slightly. This will make it easier to tie them together later with the cable ties and give you a sturdy wire tower.
- For the third step you need the garden fleece. To measure how much fleece you need, wrap it around the outside of your wire tower. Then you can cut it to size. The top of the fleece should be about five centimeters longer than the wire tower, so that you can fold it over later.
- When you have cut the fleece to size, push it into the inside of the tower and line it with it. Then fold the top five inches of fleece over to the outside.
- Using the appropriate scissors (or alternatively a knife), cut small slits in the fleece just below and above the wires. These are used to tie the fleece to the wire with the cable ties. So feed the cable ties through the slits and close them around the ends of the wire mesh. This way the fleece will sit tight inside and stay in place.
- Place the finished wire tower in your flower pot and fill the pot one-third full with soil.
- Water the soil in the flower pot a little and then fill the flower tower completely with soil.
- Next, cut plus-shaped slits in the fleece for your flowers. It’s best to leave the bottom row empty and not place the slits too close together.
- Now it’s time to plant your bulbs or seeds. Use your fingers to press the soil behind the slits and place the bulbs or seeds there. Make sure they sit well in the soil and don’t fall out again.
To make your flower tower look beautiful on the top and not only on the walls, you can also plant flowers on the top of the opening.
Now you just need to water and care for the flowers according to their needs and you will have a beautiful, blooming tower at home.
I have 30 years of experience and i started this website to see if i could try and share my knowledge to help you.
With a degree a Horticulture BSc (Hons)
I have worked as a horticulture specialist lead gardener, garden landscaper, and of course i am a hobby gardener at home in my own garden.
Please if you have any questions leave them on the article and i will get back to you personally.