The busy lily is the optimal plant for shady places in your garden or on the balcony. Planting and care of the flower are also quite uncomplicated.
The busy lily originates from Tanzania, Kenya and Zimbabwe. The evergreen plant reaches heights of up to 70 centimeters. But it also enjoys great popularity in this country – in borders and hanging baskets it is a real eye-catcher.
The most important information as an overview:
- Light: partial shade to shade
- Soil: sandy to loamy, rich in humus, (slightly) acidic, well-drained
- Nutrient requirements: moderate
- Flowering time: May to October
- Planting time: after the last frosts
Tip: In addition to frost, the busy lily also does not tolerate heavy rain. Therefore, look for a sheltered place for the plant. On the balcony or terrace, the place is best covered.
Planting busy Lizard correctly
The Fleißiges Lieschen does not tolerate cold temperatures: already from ten degrees Celsius it can be damaged. Therefore, you should transplant the flower outdoors only after the last frosts.
- First get the seeds in a flower store or nursery. Tip: It is best to use organic seeds.
- Sow the seeds between February and March. Fill small seed trays with growing soil and press the seeds only very lightly into them. The busy lily is a light germinator, which means that it must not be covered by soil when germinating.
- Let the seeds germinate in a bright place at 16 to 18 degrees Celsius. You should keep the soil slightly moist.
- From May onwards, but only after the Ice Saints have passed, the plants can be planted outside. The flower can be planted in pots, window boxes, flower beds and borders. It combines well with fuchsias, begonias and petunias, for example.
- When planting, dig small planting holes at least 20 centimeters apart and place the young plants in them. Fill the holes with soil and press down lightly. Tip: You can enrich the soil with some compost beforehand. Important: In the pot and flower box, drainage holes in the soil and a drainage layer under the soil (gravel, small stones) are recommended.
- Alternative: If you do not want to grow the plants from seeds, you can get ready-made young plants in spring and plant them directly.
Care of the Busy Lizard
The busy lily is hardy and not very demanding. If you pay attention to a few things, you can enjoy its beautiful blooms for several months.
- Water requirements: Like most plants, busy lilies do not tolerate extreme drought or waterlogging. In this case, however, you should be especially careful not to overwater it. Excess water will quickly damage the beautiful flower. The soil should be kept moderately moist.
- Fertilizer: You can fertilize every two weeks, but only with a weak dosage.
- Pests: The Fleißige Lieschen is actually very hardy and not particularly susceptible to diseases and pests. From time to time, however, gray mold, spider mites or aphids can appear.