A lushly blooming scented garden with roses, lavender and all sorts of wonderful summer bloomers is the dream of every gardener. However, for this project to succeed, the needs of the individual plants must be known and implemented. Lavender, for example, does not require much care, but has quite specific requirements for its location.
Lavender loves sun and heat
Lavender originates from the Mediterranean region, where summers are very long, hot and dry, while winters are mild. In its homeland, the lush flowering semi-shrub is spoiled by the sun, which is why it also prefers a sunny and sheltered spot elsewhere. A location in partial shade or even shade is to be avoided if possible – there you will not have too much joy with the sun-hungry lavender.
Lavender in the apartment
Many a person would like to keep the pretty and fragrant lavender as a houseplant in the apartment. In principle, this is possible, but you should follow these tips:
- Year-round cultivation of lavender as a houseplant is not advisable.
- In summer, the indoor lavender should be placed on the balcony or terrace.
- Alternatively, you should ventilate frequently, but do not expose the plant to drafts.
- In winter, the lavender belongs in a cool and preferably bright location – for example, in the bedroom with little heating.
- The optimal soil should be dry, sandy and not too acidic.
- Lavender is accustomed to dry and nutrient-poor soils. It has adapted so well to the conditions of its home country that it can still get water and nutrients from the soil even from a depth of several meters by means of its very deep taproots. Therefore, the soil should be as sparse as possible, and also dry, because lavender does not tolerate waterlogging. A sandy or stony soil is best, while heavy clay or peat soils should be worked before planting.
Tips & Tricks
Lavender likes to be planted together with roses. However, be aware that the two plants have quite different soil and care requirements. A companionship will only work if you take these differences into account.