Comfrey – A Medicinal Herb Or Poisonous After All?

Last updated on October 23rd, 2023 at 09:02 pm

Who hears the name comfrey, in his consciousness probably immediately presents the buzzword ‘medicinal plant’. But is this really the case: Can comfrey be consumed carefree or does it have a toxic effect?

Beinwell Anwendung

Contained alkaloids damage the liver
Comfrey contains so-called pyrrolizidine alkaloids in addition to beneficial active ingredients such as allantoin and mucilage. In high quantities and consumed over a long period of time, these alkaloids damage the liver. For this reason, you should only use comfrey externally and not eat it. But do not panic: A leaf or a few blossoms as a decoration for your salad won’t hurt.

Comfrey - A Medicinal Herb Or Poisonous After All?

When used in excessive amounts – both in fresh and dried form – comfrey can cause the following symptoms due to its toxic alkaloids:

  • Shortness of breath
  • drop in blood pressure
  • skin rash
  • Nausea
  • Disorientation

Author

  • James Jones

    Meet James Jones, a passionate gardening writer whose words bloom with the wisdom of an experienced horticulturist. With a deep-rooted love for all things green, James has dedicated his life to sharing the art and science of gardening with the world. James's words have found their way into countless publications, and his gardening insights have inspired a new generation of green thumbs. His commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship shines through in every article he crafts.

    https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-jones-436784297/ gardeninguru@outlook.com Jones James
See also  The Exterminator Against Ants - Is It Worth It?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Gardeninguru