Seeds in fruit can be annoying! So they quickly end up in our garbage and we don’t talk about them anymore. However, when used properly, they can be very useful. For example, melon seeds can be cooked as an appetizer. Some people also see these seeds as a great gardening tool to plant and watch grow over the days.
So, like the avocado pit, lemon seeds can definitely be planted to get a lovely little tree. However, if you’ve tried it, you may have noticed that it struggled to grow, if not a total failure! In fact, you have to use a very specific technique to make it work. Don’t worry, we explain everything here and it’s not rocket science.
How to effectively sow lemon seeds step by step:
1) Cut the lemon in half and collect the seeds with a knife blade gently so as not to damage them.
2) Then clean them under water with a sieve to remove the remaining pulp. Note that if some of the seeds are too small and misshapen, they will certainly not be usable for planting.
3) Using your fingernail, slightly open the seed to facilitate the absorption of water and help it germinate.
4) With the knife, make a hole in the bottom of a plastic glass and fill it with a mixture of substrate and 40% humus. Pack the soil a little.
5) On the surface, place 5 to 6 seeds horizontally and cover with a little soil. Water and cover with a paper towel folded over itself several times before watering again (it will keep the moisture and heat in the soil). Remove the paper towel when the first shoots appear.
6) When your lemon saplings have sprouted and are a few inches tall, you can plant them in a larger pot.
That’s it! The planting is a success and you are the king of lemon seedlings. So the secret is to germinate the seeds well before planting them 😉
I have 30 years of experience and i started this website to see if i could try and share my knowledge to help you.
With a degree a Horticulture BSc (Hons)
I have worked as a horticulture specialist lead gardener, garden landscaper, and of course i am a hobby gardener at home in my own garden.
Please if you have any questions leave them on the article and i will get back to you personally.